Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hungry?...I am.

I love bread. Good bread. Homemade bread. And right now that sounds so good! I am hungry and a warm piece of homemade bread would be so good! 

How often are we just simply focus on our physical needs. (Like being hungry...) It is easy to recognize when we are hungry, thirsty, tired etc. But it is so much harder to always remember to meet our spiritual needs. In John we learn, "Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you" (John 6:27).

I remember one summer I went to a youth camp. I was having a lot fun but it wasn't a very spirtual environment. The were many kids who wanted to "rebel" and as they continued to misbehave their actions drove the spirit away. I remember feeling such a need for spiritual strength. My soul hungered just as Enos' had in the Book of Mormon. When we had free time I was invited to hang out with some girls but I realized this need I had to be spiritually fed so instead I went back to the cabin and pulled out my Book of Mormon and read. 

Just as we must feed our bodies everyday we also must feed our spirits. We partake of the "Bread of Life" by studying the scriptures and praying everyday and going to church each week. I know this is how I have stayed strong and spiritually nourished.

***
I once saw a church sign that said:
"without the bread of life you are toast"
I think it might be my favorite church sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment