Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Gifts

Today is my birthday. I have a great few days celebrating my birthday. People have been so kind to take me to eat and give me gifts. They have all been so nice and it has made me so very happy. It makes me think back to the best gift I have ever received. The gift of the Holy Ghost.
"When you were confirmed a member of the Church, you received the right to the companionship of the Holy Ghost. He can help you make good choices. When challenged or tempted, you do not need to feel alone. Remember that prayer is the passport to spiritual power." 
     -Thomas S. Monson
I have been so grateful for this gift in my life. But just like receiving a present you can't just be given it but you truly have to receive it. Its easy to think how you would receive a present... you open it. But how do you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost? Elder David A. Bednar teaches how we can receive this gift. "Let me suggest that we need to (1) sincerely desire to receive the Holy Ghost, (2) appropriately invite the Holy Ghost into our lives, and (3) faithfully obey God's commandments."

I know that we first need to come unto Christ and be baptized. Christ said, "He that is baptized in my name, to him will I give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do." (2 Nephi 31:12) Then once we have been given the Holy Ghost we must do the things that Elder Bednar taught that we might me able to have this gift more part of our lives. I know it will bless your life, it has mine!

"Following baptism into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there comes a second ordinance: 'Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost' (Articles of Faith 1:4)
That sweet, quiet voice of inspiration comes more as a feeling than it does a sound. Pure intelligence can be spoken into the mind. The Holy Ghost communicates with our spirits through the mind more than through the physical senses. This guidance comes as thoughts, as feelings through promptings and impressions. We may feel the words of spiritual communication more than hear them and see with spiritual rather than with mortal eyes."
      -Boyd K. Packer

No comments:

Post a Comment