Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Count Down to Christmas

Last year for Christmas my family sent me an advent calender. Each day had a little note from a family member stuffed in it. I loved reading those little notes so much I decided I wanted to save it for this year. After a year I haven't been able to remember what my family has said so it has been exciting to read them again. Today I read a note from my Uncle Tim. He had quoted an article form the December 1983 Ensign, "What Shall I Do Then With Jesus Which is Called Christ?" I loved the quotes he picked out so much I decided to read the article.

I ask anew the question offered by Pilate two thousand years ago, 'What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?' Indeed, we need continually to ask ourselves, what shall we do with Jesus who is called Christ? What shall we do with his teachings, and how can we make them an inseparable part of our lives? In light on these questions, at this season we ask another: What does Christmas really mean? May I suggest some things that it should mean?
Christmas means giving.
Christmas means the Christ child.
Christmas means eternity.
Christmas means compassion love, and most of all, forgiveness.
Christmas means peace. 
"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
"For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the only begotten of the Father--
"That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants there of are begotten sons and daughters unto God." (D&C 76:22-24
This is our testimony to all mankind. It is our gift and blessing to the world. He is our joy and our salvation, and we will find Christmas of grater meaning in our own lives as we share these truths with others. 
What shall we do with Jesus who is called Christ? Learn of him. Search the scriptures for they are they which testify of him. Ponder the miracle of his life and mission. Try a little more diligently to follow his example and observe his teachings. Bring the Christ back into Christmas.

The rest of the article is really good as well, click here to read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment